Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Three Foodies !! - 2 - Sagar Ratna, DLF Place, Saket

Ha ha! Rasam, the Aroma !!

This post is actually only for ‘Rasam’ lovers. I almost tasted rasam last time when I was at my house during my vacations at Chennai by November 2013. So after almost three months I taste rasam. This time it was at completely different region, which is not known for rasam, instead famous for Daal Makhni and Rajma, Delhi it is.

This time it was not three of us. My team accompanied me, my company colleagues on a team lunch.

To accommodate the taste of everyone, the only option is to take you where there are multiple outlets and each member can have food of their own choice. There will be no question of the taste or no comments on the price that you are spending to cherish the moment. This happens once in a month (Yeah, I am lucky to work for this company, not to forget I had to clear a test and two interviews, to be here).

So we were at the Food court, DLF Place, Saket at Delhi. Yes! A food court, I understand the happiness to be at a food court for that I love to eat food. I am amidst fifteen kiosks of great food servers from the past not known what to eat in first place, then the confusion, What to order and where not to order from?

So out of previous experience going to malls and eating in food courts since 2010 at Chennai, the mantra to eat in a food court is simple, you got to decide the cuisine first then, the hotel/sever that make that particular cuisine tasting the best.

This comes only out of practice I too had difficulty during my initial phase eating at malls, as in Coimbatore we were known only to restaurants and not for food courts.

The more time and food you waste ordering in a food court, the more knowledge and expertise you develop in ordering and enjoying food.

Like I said simply make up your mind on what you are going to have, if necessary try one extra dish and nothing more.

Okay, coming back to the story of Rasam.

Working for an IT company, its natural that I have a team and time to discuss my schooldays or moments that I cherished and lots of other discussions to keep your stress out, on one such conversation I happened to quote 'Rasam naa Vadavalli mammi thaan' meant Rasam means what Vadavalli aunty used to prepare for me.

This lead to my craving for rasam all of a sudden, I had to disturb my two friends about rasam and even asked them to check online recipe and method to prepare it at out place. All the online methods or plans to make rasam at home did not yield a fruitful result.

That is when I came to a conclusion to have a complete rasam rice unlimited offered at Andhra Bhavan. You see always there is this thing called fate, you plan and he too plans accordingly. Here is the twist, unfortunately one goodu boy met with an accident and the doctor has requested him not to strain his legs. So I had to wait for my time to taste. Not knowing how long will it take for him to get his leg will become all right as we travel to taste foods in three or more. We make sure one of us is not missed on the taste that other is going to enjoy almost in all cases.

There happens to be exceptions, but not for rasam as the conversation was with this goodu boy who also wanted to taste rasam, and rasam can wait naturally.

The more you wait the more beautiful the thing look, it is applicable to food as well, but you got to know where it is served with the wright taste and procedure.

After a day, my mobile phone beeped with a notification that the team is scheduled for team lunch, in two days, my mind-voice says (use paniruda kaipulla, [Vadivelu]) this is the chance for me to taste rasam that I desired to have not knowing when.

So as planned we went to the food court in the near by mall, DLF Place Saket, Delhi South.

I had to pause for a moment as here in most hotels they serve dhal, rice, roti and paneer as meals. I had to look out for a south Indian hotel that serves rasam, luckily for me there was Sagar Ratna; they had rasam rice in their menu. I immediately gave my cash card and said one rasam rice jaldhy dhena.

The cost of the plate was 120/-INR plus tax.
 Served with 200-250Gm of Rice in a plastic plate and a pappad.
The Rasam is served in a cup about 150-250 Ml.
There is a mixed vegetable pickle served with the above.

The food is limited. The rasam was Famous Mysore rasam with more of coriander and spices.

The best part of having rasam is drinking it, its more or less a tomato soup rich in spices and taste. They also serve Rasam and pappad as starter for 45/-INR plus tax.

[pic curtesy zomato.com]

Ah! The aroma of rasam brought my Vadavalli Mammi's memory and days. I have tasted rasam almost every day she prepares, while I generously miss what my mother or granny makes at home. This mammi had a specialty in her hands in preparing rasam. May be next time when I go to Coimbatore will taste rasam one more time from my Vadavalli Mammi.

My dad is a patron to rasam, my granny or my mother used to cook rasam daily for my dad and my grandfather, I was not a big follower of the rasam that My granny or my mom used to prepare, still I like to taste rasam occasionally. May be, I am following my dad and Grandpa’s way but with some simple specification of taste (only Mysore rasam).

Next time if you wish to taste something from the South Indian try Rasam Rice from Sagar Ratna, DLF Place, and Saket at Delhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment